[Mailman-Users] Making a one way list

mailman at tux.org mailman at tux.org
Tue Sep 10 00:29:25 CEST 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Jules Siegel wrote:

> How do I configure a Mailman list so that it's one way -- that is I
> can send mail but subscribers can't reply to the list? Will just
> setting the reply to function to specific sender work? Or is there
> another more secure way to do this?

One option would be to make the list moderated and only approve your
own postings.  Another option would be to set member_posting_only to 'no'
and then list yourself as the only address allowed to post.  For
reference, from the 'Details' of the 'poster' option (under Privacy):

    Adding entries here will have one of two effects, according to
    whether another option restricts posting to members.

    - If member_posting_only is 'yes', then entries added here will
      have posting privilege in addition to list members.
    - If member_posting_only is 'no', then only the posters listed
      here will be able to post without admin approval.

Setting the Reply-To function will not do what you want, because that
really is just a short-cut that more or less encourages replies to
go a certain way:  Anyone is free to simply change the To, and CC values
after hitting reply ... or just compose a message from scratch, addressed
to your list.

Hope that helps.

- Andrew