[Mailman-Users] Mime stripping in 2.1b3

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Sat Sep 14 20:09:24 CEST 2002

On 10:24 AM 9/13/02, LuKreme wrote:
 >besides the obvious "audio" and "application" what are some other good
 >mime types to enter into Mailman 21b3 to be stripped?  I don't want to
 >strip html or pictures, just dangerous types that are potential viruses.

You should configure your rules so that the specific file types you *allow*
are exempted from being stripped, and then strip everything else.  New file
types are being created all the time, and most of the time the new types
are types you don't want to allow (viruses etc.).  Your list subscribers
are much safer if your system requires you to occasionally manually add a
new approved type when one happens along, than if it requires you to
manually add a new disapproved type as each new virus etc. comes along
(which would usually be after the fact, after one such mime attachment
slipped thru un-altered).

jc