[Mailman-Users] Mime stripping in 2.1b3

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Sat Sep 14 20:54:05 CEST 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:09:24 -0700
JC Dill <mailman at vo.cnchost.com> wrote:

> On 10:24 AM 9/13/02, LuKreme wrote:
>  >besides the obvious "audio" and "application" what are some
>  >other good mime types to enter into Mailman 21b3 to be stripped?
>  > I don't want to
>  >strip html or pictures, just dangerous types that are potential
>  >viruses.
> You should configure your rules so that the specific file types
> you *allow* are exempted from being stripped, and then strip
> everything else.  New file types are being created all the time,
> and most of the time the new types are types you don't want to
> allow (viruses etc.).  Your list subscribers are much safer if
> your system requires you to occasionally manually add a new
> approved type when one happens along, than if it requires you to
> manually add a new disapproved type as each new virus etc. comes
> along (which would usually be after the fact, after one such mime
> attachment slipped thru un-altered).
> jc

I guess that using 2.1b3 I'm unsure how to disallow everything and
then to allow only certain types. (kind of like my firewall rules)

Don't ever take for granted the company of your friends and family.
Be generous with praise, hugs & kisses, and don't ever leave anyone
dear to you in the dark about how much they mean to you. Life is
short, so treasure every minute.
  --Susan Gray