[Mailman-Users] Managing large lists

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 16 04:01:04 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 22:39, Fred at ScotiaCom wrote:
> Is the Member Management web page the only place to manage membership lists.

No, you can also do it from the command line.  Mailman comes with
several nice commands that allow you manage your lists without visiting
the web interface.  The commands are also extremely nice for setting up
automated (or near) automated tasks!

> I want to use Mailman with a list with 5000+ members. I can't imagine
> scrolling through 5000 members 30 at a time to unscribe a member, or to
> check an address.

I can't either, that's why I edit ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and change
the number of lines displayed in the Web interface! You would probably
like to change it to 500 or 1000.  A lot of folks with larger lists make
this change.

Note: changing it will only affect future lists and not current lists.
To change this value on current lists is a little more tricky and
involves the use of the with-list command.  You can search the archives
for details.

> Is there a search or sort option?

Yes, the command line interface has a search option.  There is also a
command to delete a specific email address from one list or all lists.

> Is there a way to
> integrate the members with a field in a MySQL database.
> fred

In the Beta version - Yes.  Not in the current 2.0x series.

Good Luck!