[Mailman-Users] Does mailman support a MySQL backend?

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Thu Sep 19 19:17:16 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 05:35:19PM +0100, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> I was wondering if mailman supports a MySQL backend, because one of my lists
> has hit over 100k addresses, and performance is REALLY bad. If mailman
> doesn't support a MySQL backend, does anyone know of any mailing list
> managers that do?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adance.

Do you know whether it's mailman, or your MUA that's the sticky
wicket?

We have one list with 20,000 subscribers.  It used to take several
days to get everybody out.  Inspection revealed it was the MTA,
Postfix, which needed load tuning, and also the Linux kernel,
which needed some kernel parameters bumped up to allow Postfix
the elbow room to run 150 concurrent delivery processes.

Now it takes about three hours for most of the good addresses
on the list to get delivered.  The sticky wicket is the internet
connection, which also supports telecommuters, so we've had
to tune the mailserver to stop short of saturating the connection.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://www.linuxjournal.com/