[Mailman-Users] Subscription options help

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Fri Sep 20 05:52:47 CEST 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:38:16PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> That doesn't work... it just causes Mailman to reply with detailed
> instructions on how to unsubscribe via email.  The detailed instructions
> mention needing a password, which prompts most users (because few ever set a
> password) to have to use the web interface.  In the end it takes 15 steps to
> unsubscribe from Mailman where as other list software is just 2 (unsubscribe
> + confirm).
>
> <rant>
> Mailman should allow unsubscriptions via confirmed email w/o requiring a
> password, there is no valid reason to require the password when
> unsubscribing via email.
> </rant>

Heck, we let people off our lists with just a single email.
A little procmail magic puts the "From:" address and list name
in a data file, then a cron job comes along and picks that up
and calls

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/remove_members listname who.to.remove at wherheis.com

no complaints from anybody so far.  We run several announce lists,
and asking any more than a mail to listname-remove at ssc.com is asking
for irate subscribers.  We don't need those!

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://www.linuxjournal.com/