[Mailman-Users] Digests: "From" address and topics

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 20 15:54:50 CEST 2002

    NA> I'm using Mailman 2.1b2 and digests are going out with a
    NA> "From" header with the -request address, rather than the list
    NA> address.  I found a closed bug for this
    NA> (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=231776&group_id=103)
    NA> that says it was to be fixed in Mailman 2... but apparently it
    NA> hasn't been.  Does this need to be re-opened?

Try upgrading to 2.1b3 and see if the problem persists.  If so, please
submit a new bug report.

    NA> Second problem with digests -- topic restrictions don't seem
    NA> to affect the digest.  Users who only want to receive one
    NA> topic in the digest are receiving everything.

Correct.  Topics aren't supported in digests.  I don't know if there
will be time to fix this before the final release or not.

    NA> My test setup is to select one topic, then set "Do you want to
    NA> receive message that do not match any topic filter?" to "No."
    NA> I can't find a bug on that one.  Does this need to be filed?
    NA> (A topic of "Brin:" shouldn't match every message in a list
    NA> whose name is "Brin-L", should it ("[Brin-L]" appears in the
    NA> subject line)?  The colon doesn't have any special meaning in
    NA> Python's re, does it?

Not in that context.

    NA> Any suggested fixes for these in the meantime?  I'm happy to
    NA> muck about in the source, given a pointer or two as to where
    NA> to go.  I've only explored it a bit so far.

The topics-in-digests problem isn't caused by a bug, it's simply not
implemented yet.  Do you think you could provide a patch?  The tricky
bit is that ToDigest.py probably needs to look at the Tagger.py data
to decide which digest .mbox to drop the message into (perhaps
multiple ones), and the whole send-out-the-digest machinery needs to
be taught about possibly multiple digests per list.  I don't know how
hard all this will be.

If you want to look into it further, or discuss things in more detail,
please follow up to mailman-developers -- mailman-users isn't the
appropriate place for this level of detail.

    NA> I'm trying to make it easy for a friend to participate in a
    NA> high-traffic list without having to read everything, and only
    NA> receive one digest a day, but it really isn't working well --
    NA> very frustrating.  (The friend is David Brin, the writer and
    NA> futurist, who doesn't have a lot of time to muddle through
    NA> this mess.)

Cool!  But given non-digest topic filtered messages, is he still
getting way too much?  Or is the problem the interrupt factor?  Maybe
he can set up his mail reader to put the topic'd messages in a
separate folder which he only reads once a day?

-Barry