[Mailman-Users] Does mailman support a MySQL backend?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 20 23:47:15 CEST 2002

>>>>> "GAVH" == G Armour Van Horn <vanhorn at whidbey.com> writes:

    GAVH> It sounded like Barry was running it, which meant that
    GAVH> Mailman would always work with Postfix!

While I'd like to ensure that Mailman continues to run well with all
the major mail servers, I do indeed run Postfix on my personal
domains, and most of the test h/w I use.  However we use Exim4 on
python.org/zope.org so making sure it plays nice with both is a top
priority for us.  I'll also note that Greg Ward does most of the
down-and-dirty postmastering on py.org and has some really excellent
scripts and extensions which he maintains on the elspy project on SF.
He keeps tempting me with his cool stuff enough and I might have to
switch one day (having a Python interpreter running in your MTA is my
definition of cool :).

That's not to denegrate or neglect sendmail or qmail, since I'm
officially agnostic on the subject.  The Python Starship ran qmail
until Greg recently took over postmastering that machine, and sendmail
is still very widely used of course.  My hacking time is fairly
limited though and I'd rather spend time getting MM2.1 to completion
than futzing with MTAs all the time, so I occasionally need the
community's help to keep us honest.

-Barry