[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Postfix alias files

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Sep 23 20:30:23 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:01:56PM -0600, Kory Wheatley wrote:
> Question, what are the alias files configured like for POSTFIX when
> using Mailman, are they the same syntax as Sendmail?
> Could someone give me an example?

I use the aliases generated when setting up a Mailman list according to
instructions using "newlist".  Just plug them into /etc/aliases, run

  postalias /etc/aliases

and whee!  Off to the races!

Well, something like what newlist generates.  Here's a typical
stanza, wrapped for prettier email using "\":

atc:             "|/usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/atc"
atc-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner atc"
atc-request:     \
    /var/lib/mailman/localdata/requests/atc,\
    "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd atc"
atc-owner:       atc-admin
owner-atc:       atc-admin
atc-remove:      "|/usr/lib/mailman/localbin/unsub.sh atc ssc.com"

Incoming stuff gets filtered by procmail.

All requests are logged to a "requests" directory in case some
hysterical person comes charging at our upstream provider yelling
"spam!".

Mail to atc-remove goes to a script called "unsub.sh" which
tries to figure out who sent the mail, then removes them from
the list if it can.

I'd publish unsub.sh but I'm not sure of the licensing; Bob Puff
wrote the original, and I adapted it.  His original was published
here, which implies that he meant for anybody to use it who wanted
to, but didn't contain a copyright notice, which I suppose means
I'm infringing on his work and would compound the transgression
by publishing it with any notice claiming that it is published
under GPL, or whatever.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://www.linuxjournal.com/