[Mailman-Users] Question re: interfacing list with MySQL and message throttling

Justin Bellars jbellars at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 23:35:43 CEST 2002

Hi,

I have a few questions and no idea who to ask. I’ve been looking for an
MLM that will meet some particular needs.

1) would like the subscriber list to interact with a MySQL membership
database, don’t know if Mailman provides this functionality already or
if a proprietary solution would have to be developed (I kinda’ figured
MySQL would be mentioned if this were already a built-in feature…)

2) would like to know if any MLM, whether Mailman or not, has a
built-in facility for throttling the rate at which messages are
delivered to particular domains like AOL or Yahoo, which seem to have
thresholds set up for blocking (HTML) messages (in particular)
altogether if they are directed to some number of recipients per second
or minute. (i.e. you get blacklisted as a spammer, even if you are
sending legitimate membership emails to subscribed members of your
list) [Not particularly fond of the notion of paying money-grubbing
ISPs to be on their “whitelist” for the “privilege” of sending email to
their users.]

3) I’m looking for an MLM that can process a job to a non-profit
mailing list of 1 million constituent members within 12 hours. I don’t
know if the bottleneck is the bandwidth, the mail program, a
combination of the two or something else altogether, if anyone else has
a clue, please enlighten me.

Would like to use an Open Source product, since I’m trying to replace
an M$ windows-based product and the server upon which it resides.

I would be extremely grateful for any constructive replies!

Thanks,

Justin