[Mailman-Users] 2.0.13 pipermail problem

mailman at tux.org mailman at tux.org
Wed Sep 25 18:33:43 CEST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Palo Segec wrote:

> I have problem with pipermail archive of the mailman 2.0.13
> distribution, I'd done installation as was at INSTALL file, but I
> can't access to the pipermail archive. Answer from web server is
>
> The requested URL /pipermail/list/ was not found on this server. NOT
> FOUND.

First, make sure you did -all- of the following:

    - Configure your web server to point to the Pipermail public
      mailing list archives:

      For example, in Apache:

         Alias /pipermail/ $varprefix/archives/public/

      where $varprefix is usually $prefix unless you've used the
      --with-var-prefix option to configure.

      Consult your web server's documentation for details.  Also be
      sure to configure your web server to follow symbolic links in
      this directory, otherwise public Pipermail archives won't be
      accessible.  For Apache users, consult the FollowSymLinks
      option.

      Now restart your web server.

I realize you said you followed the INSTALL file (where the above
text comes from), but it won't hurt to double check.  In particular,
make sure your web server is configured to follow symbolic links,
and make sure you restart your web server (to get it to recognize
your changes).  Also, make sure you are using whatever $varprefix
equates to (e.g., "/home/mailman" for a default install), not
literally "$varprefix" or "$prefix".

If the problem persists, you may find it helpful to Alias "/pipermail/"
to something else that you know exists, such as a location that is
already reachable via some other web server Alias on your machine.
If you cannot get "/pipermail/" to point at something that is otherwise
accessible, the issue is somehow related to your webserver; if you can
get it to point at something else but not your Mailman archives, you
missed -something- in the Mailman installation.

HTH
- Andrew