[Mailman-Users] ## Mailman Questions for "FAQ"

John Wards j.wards at sportnetwork.net
Mon Sep 30 10:45:33 CEST 2002

On Friday 27 Sep 2002 12:02 pm, Fred Showker wrote:
> Greetings
>
> QUESTIONS FOR MAILMAN
>
> #1 Sudden deluge of SPAM hitting the list
>
>    Under the "Security" section of the ADMIN it says:
>
>    "... See "forbidden"
>
>    However I cannot find "forbidden" anywhere on any of the
>    help pages or any of the other pages. Also searched the
>    documentation and the word doesn't occur there either.
>
>    Will those 'frequent' spammers be blocked if I add their
>    domains to the block screen?
>
>    How do I block them without getting a notice?
>
>         Hold posts with header value matching a specified regexp.
>             Allows you to filter out known addresses or domains that
> function primarily as spam providers.
>
>    I do not want to "HOLD" those posts, I want them blocked and
>    deleted without being notified.
>
> #2 Sudden deluge of "bounces" or "undeliverables"
>
>    The list has been operating fine for months using this set
>    of subscribers. Suddenly, yesterday, I get 160 "undeliverables"
>    from known good addresses. Some of them also actually got
>    posted. Today I get 7 more pages of bounces.

The beta version of Mailman is much more prowerfull I would upgrade. I have
had no problems with it so far.

> #3 Bouncing Non-Subscribers
>
>    I would rather "DISCARD" and delete all posts from non-subscribers
>    and NOT get any notice of any kind.
>    The option doesn't seem to be available. How do I do that?

Again the beat version of Mailman has this

> #4 When are duplicates deleted?
>
>    If I get duplicate addresses, are they deleted immediately?

Dunno that one.....

> #5 Remote "Unsubscribe"
>
>    Is there a better way to "UNSUBSCRIBE" people using an email?
>
>    It is rediculously tedious to remove people (who post a "Remove Me"
>    to the list) by going to the member management page.
>    If you've got a list of 50,000 subscribers, you have to first
>    load all the initial page, then try to find the page where the
>    address is located, then find that person to UNSUBSCRIBE them.

The users send an email to yourlist-requests at list.yourserver.com with the
commaand

 unsubscribe [password] [address=<address>]
 in the body. I am sure this is not just the beta version.

Send an email to the smae address with the command

help

In the body for a list of commands

> As a side note: the interface is better than most other listservers
> however your comments on the "help" buttons are usually no help.
> They usually just repeat what was said on the main page. Many
> times they are cryptic, or phrased in such a way that it is
> unclear what option to actually pick.

Yes I find this too...

John