[Mailman-Users] Installation woes

Dan Gookin dgookin at wambooli.com
Thu Apr 3 03:04:50 CEST 2003

At 1:57 PM -0500 4/2/03, Vivek Khera wrote:
>Just skip that whole bit and let it install with setgid.
[snip]
>...if you're using FreeBSD, just go ahead and use the Mailman
>port -- that's what I do ;-)

You're the man! In the README.BSD file. Wow. Glad to make your acquaintance.

I did that already, but I'm still having trouble. I cannot get it to
install from the mailman-2.1.1 directory at all.

Question: I am told NOT to do it as root, yet I'm getting permission
violations up the ying-yang when I run ./configure.
/usr/local/mailman is configured as it says in the INSTALL doc; it's
owned by "mailman" (both) and the permissions are drwxrwxsr-x. Yet it
won't install.

Granted, I don't fully understand all the setuid/setgid stuff with
the tiny s in there and all that.

My temptation is just to go ahead and install as root, but the
instructions say specifically NOT to.

And this still doesn't address that Make doesn't understand "install."

DAN