[Mailman-Users] Good News

George Cohn gwcohn at bblabs.net
Sun Apr 6 03:34:47 CEST 2003

After struggling for about 6 weeks, I finally got Mailman working on my
server!

I'm using RH 8 on an AMD Athlon 2 gig box with 768 megs of memory.

The box has the latest version of Apache 2.0.40-11 with 2.2.2-7 Python,
2.0.7-2 Postfix and Mailman 2.1.1.

I originally tried installing the version of MM on the rpm distribution
that came with RH 8 but could never get it to work.

I finally started reading everything I could find and downloaded the
latest versions of Python, Postfix and Mailman.

The trick at long last was a mismatch between the mail host in Postfix
(mail.example.com) and the mm-config file (example.com)  Once I
corrected the MM config, I was able to post and everything works now
including the archives.

It's been an interesting 6 weeks as I once took a unix course in the
early '90's and never used anything I learned until now.

Just thought I would let some of the newbies struggling along know that
it can be done.  Just read every readme file and try to be logical about
it.

George Cohn