[Mailman-Users] Group id Catch-22 after list move

Nick Arnett narnett at mccmedia.com
Sun Apr 6 19:25:21 CEST 2003

..

> That isn't a postfix problem, that's mailman complaining.  Just use your
> new id's and chown the old ones to the new id.

I know that the error is from Mailman -- that's why I'm asking the question
on this list!  That's why I said that Postfix "gets" that error.

When you say "chown the old ones," what are you referring to?  The old what?
All lists have the same owner and group.

> Run ~mailman/bin/check_perms and you'll see what permission problems you
> have.  Run it with "-f" to force the fixes.

That's part of installation, so I've done that, more than once.  There are
no reported permission problems.

Perhaps I should ask a more specific question... Where does the id under
which Postfix runs the mail wrapper come from?  How can it be executing
under two different ids in the same Mailman installation?  Isn't it always
the same Postfix id that is executing the mail wrapper?  I'm baffled.

A few more details, in case they are helpful:

For new lists, Mailman is expecting the mail wrapper to be executed as
"nobody," but it is running as "mailman."  Old lists produce no error, they
work fine.  If I re-install Mailman with "--with-mail-gid=mailman", then new
lists work, but old ones give that error, with the user names reversed.  In
other words, after the re-install, new lists work, but for old ones, Mailman
is expecting the mail wrapper to be executed as "mailman," but it is running
as "nobody" (which I guess was how my old installation was set up).

>From INSTALL, I see that mail-gid is compiled into the mail wrapper, which
is what I suspected.  Thus, for the functional lists (the old ones) Postfix
must be executing the mail wrapper as "nobody," but I don't understand where
that information comes from or how Postfix does it.

Sooooo... where does Postfix get the id under which it tries to execute the
mail wrapper and how can that change from one list to another?  The Postfix
aliases for old and new lists look exactly the same.  I keep thinking I must
be missing something very obvious, since it seems as though Postfix is
calling the very same executable, the very same way, but with completely
different results depending on whether the message is destined for one of my
old lists or a new one.

For what it's worth, cgi for new lists works fine.

Nick