[Mailman-Users] Problems with large list

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 6 23:26:33 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 22:00, Leonardo Sá wrote:
> I've checked the apache configuration and it seems to be ok (otherwise, the
> other lists would not be working). Rebuilding the list from scratch also
> didn't work, and i do have 401mb ram that i think is enough for this kind of
> job. Only the big list is not working through the web.

You don't say what version of Mailman you're using.  This is really
important because I believe that 2.1 is much better than 2.0 here.  But
in either case, Mailman has to slurp the entire list database into
memory for each web-hit.  Yes, this sucks and the fix plan includes
putting a real database backend on Mailman.  If you feel adventurous,
try using the BDBMemberAdaptor from cvs.  It might be more friendly on
memory usage due to BerkeleyDB's memory management and caching.

-Barry