[Mailman-Users] password and confirmation email questions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 6 23:27:01 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 08:18, John DeCarlo wrote:

> As for 2, look in ~mailman/templates/en (for English, anyway).  In
> particular, look at subscribeack.txt.  I would look through all of them
> to see what else you want to change, like unsubscribe files.
>
> Note:  If you install an update, like 2.1.1 over 2.1, it will overwrite
> your changes, so save them (I have subscribeack.txt.orig and
> subscribeack.txt.Mine) and check after the upgrade to copy them back over.

Here are the lookup rules for templates:

    # When looking for a template in a specific language, there are 4
places
    # that are searched, in this order:
    #
    # 1. the list-specific language directory
    #    lists/<listname>/<language>
    #
    # 2. the domain-specific language directory
    #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
    #
    # 3. the site-wide language directory
    #    templates/site/<language>
    #
    # 4. the global default language directory
    #    templates/<language>

This means the right way to customize templates depends on whether you
want to do it on a per-list basis, or in a more coarse way.  E.g. if you
want to change a template for one list, stick it in lists/<listname>/en
but if you want to change it for every list at your site, put it in
templates/site/en.  Mailman updates will only ever write new templates
into the global default location.

-Barry