[Mailman-Users] List Moderator Password

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 6 23:27:04 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 15:43, HINSHAW,JERRY L (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
> 	I'm trying to set the List Owner and List Moderator password
> separately. I can set the list password, BUT having problems with the List
> Moderator password. The config_list command provides an ability to set the
> List moderator SMTP addresses, BUT I don't see how to set the List Moderator
> password.

Right, because config_list isn't the way to set the passwords.  For one
thing, admin and moderator passwords are stored in the database as a
SHA1 hash and config_list doesn't know anything about that.  Speaking
Mailman 2.1, you need to use the Passwords page in the admin interface.

> 	I'd like to do this via a perl script on the List server directly.
> Thus far I haven't seen how to set the List Moderator password via the List
> web admin pages either.

It could be done fairly easily with a Python script, hooked into
bin/withlist.  Can't help you with Perl. :)  You don't mention which
version of Mailman you're using but I'll assume 2.1 since 2.0 didn't
have a separate moderator role.  Doesn't the Passwords page in the admin
interface have two side-by-side blue boxes, one for the admin password
and one for the moderator password?

-Barry