[Mailman-Users] Follow-up: Text encoding issue

Rob Costain rcostain at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 7 05:09:58 CEST 2003

A follow-up to my earlier post re: Text encoding issue

I forgot to mention that I have content-filtering configured to strip
text/html to text/plain. However, on most lists other attachments types
(i.e. .doc, .pdf, etc.) are not prohibited.

I did an impromptu test with a small developer list that I run.

I sent three messages to the list:
1) One was plain text which everyone received it without problem.
2) I then sent an HTML-formatted message. In this case, Mailman worked as
expected and stripped the MIME/HTML from the message, which was received by
everyone as plain text.
3) The last message was plain text, but this time I attached a JPEG file.
**In this case a couple of recipients reported that the message arrived with
an empty body, and that the body, footer and attached JPEG were encoded as

The users in question were using Outlook on Windows XP and Netscape on XP

Any suggestions on what I might be able to change to avoid the messages
appearing as attachments?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob Costain
rcostain at sympatico.ca - 514.369.4929