[Mailman-Users] A Known bug with confirmation string & excessive bounces

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 7 18:18:35 CEST 2003

I've been searching in the mailman-users archive for this problem and
seem to have found the proper thread.

I'm hosting about two dozen of mailing lists with web interface at
http://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/
(not all are visible there).  Some lists are quite active
(50 msgs a day and 1600 subscribers, but less than 1000 non-digested).

I've been pleased with quite a few of the new features and nicer web
interface of mailman 2.1 (we are running 2.1.1).

But I've got quite a few user reports about non-working confirmation
strings --- and I've experienced it myself quite a bit.  E.g., just
today, I tried to change one of my e-mail addresses to another one,
got the confirmation e-mail, but replying to it (or using the web
interface with the correct confirmation string) always gave errors about
invalid strings.

One of the problems I'm having in debugging this, is that I don't seem
to get anything in the data/logs/* files, but maybe I wasn't looking
closely enough.
Suggestions?

[or  try to subscribe to some of the lists on our site, e.g.  "mm-test"
(which has virtually no traffic) and see if you also get confirmation
problems.]

Thanks a lot in advance!