[Mailman-Users] Steps required to install configure Mailman- Help Needed

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 19:10:54 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 11:56, Yusuf, Mohamed Ismail wrote:
> Dear Mailman users,
>

> I am new to Linux and I can use all the help I can get. So please bear
> with me for submitting any stupid questions!
>

> I have successfully installed and configured server (Linux 8, Apache and
> Sendmail) I would appreciate if any of you will provide me with the
> steps (commands) required in installing and configuring Mailman from the
> CD as we hope to maintain a list server at the law school.

"Linux 8" would that be any relation to Red Hat Linux version 8.0?
Make sure you have all the python packages installed (including the
development ones).

For Mailman, your best bet is to download the latest tarball:

download it to a temp directory and then expand the tarball:
  tar -xzf mailman-2.1.1.tgz

This will create a directory called mailman/ off of the temp directory.
Change to this directory and read the file "INSTALL" plus any number of
the README files that apply to you (like the one for Sendmail and the
one for Linux).

Basically, you will have to create a user called mailman, and then
create a group called mailman. Then run:
  ./configure --with-cgi-gid=apache
  make
  make install

You'll have to install the crontab entries after that, but that should
mostly do it for you.

Good Luck and look in the FAQ for more information.
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=index

Jon Carnes