[Mailman-Users] Re: ??? Mailman in parallel on Unix and Linux ???

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 8 17:32:38 CEST 2003

A lot of folks don't like this, but the default for version 2.1 is to
have the "envelope" sender be <listname>-bounces.  This means that if
the mail gets rejected or bounced, the rejected mail goes back to
Mailman for processing.

The envelope is different from the message.  The sender of the message
is either the original sender or the list address (depending your
Mailman settings for that list).

Now, if you hit reply and the reply tries to go to <listname>-bounces,
then something is wrong.  And I would guess that the problem lays with
the MTA on your Sun box.  For some reason it would be message sender
with the envelope sender.

That being the case, what is processing the mail on your Sun box? And
more importantly:
 - what do the message headers for an email look like before hitting
your Sun box
 - while on the Sun box -
 - after being forwarded by the Sun box?

Good Luck - Jon Carnes