[Mailman-Users] Mailman website problems. some cgi's work, some don't

ben strawbridge ben at cenozoa.com
Fri Apr 11 00:34:51 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have posted this in the past, but not recieved a reply.

I can access all the user pages fine, to edit a user and login to change
user prefs, so I am assuming that CGI is working correctly -- Is this a
good assumption?

When I go to log in to the Administrative page, I get an error
"Authorization Failed" from mailman.

I am positive this has nothing to do with cookie settings on my browser,
I have checked it from multiple browsers, running on every platform
available -- and I checked to be sure the browsers was correctly saving
cookies, and it is b/c other sites are using them just fine.

As a test, one which i don't know if it means the right thing, I ran
cgi-bin/admin program from the command line. -- the error message is at
the bottom of this messgae -- I just ran it as my own user through the
ssh shell, so it is probably not the right user anyway... however it may
be something.

This was installed from rpm, and i did a find on my system and there is
no source installed on the system, so i'm not sure where to begin if i
need to reconfigure, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

<head>
<title>Mailman CGI error!!!</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Mailman CGI error!!!</h1>
The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did not match the gid as set
by the Web server.<p>The most likely cause is that Mailman was
configured and installed incorrectly.  Please read the INSTALL
instructions again, paying close attention to the
<tt>--with-cgi-gid</tt> configure option.  This entry is being stored in
your syslog:
<pre>
Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 48, GOT gid 501.  (Reconfigure to
take 501?)</pre>

Ben Strawbridge - Senior Interface Engineer
Cenozoa Corporation
33 Little West 12th St. #106A
New York, NY 10014
http://www.cenozoa.com