[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 33

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 09:03:50 CEST 2003

At 06:41 14/04/2003, Jonathan Bentley wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I'm rapidly going insane trying to get mailman working.  Everytime I type
>"make install" I get:
>

>   for f in ./*.txt; \
>do \
>     /usr/local/bin/install -c -m 644 $f /sw/mailman/2.1.1/tests/msgs; \
>         done
>/usr/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *;
>compile_dir("/sw/mailman/2.1.1/Mailman")'
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     from
>        ^
>SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'

The make seems to be failing where it is trying to get Python to
precompile  Mailman's Python modules, i.e. generate bytecode and save it in
.pyc files.

It is not a failure I have come across but you could try executing the
failing command from the command line, Based on your error report:

     /usr/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *;
compile_dir("/sw/mailman/2.1.1/Mailman")'

If that fails, I'm inclined to think you have something awry with you
Python installation but no idea of what.

You do not say which version of python you have installed on the machine
and running as /usr/local/bin/python, which may (or may not) be
significant. Is this Python in /usr/local/bin/python 2.1.3 or 2.2.1 per the
Mailman INSTALL document (or 2.2.2  which is also OK)?

The failure occurred on the last step in the installation and you could try
continuing even though the Mailman's Python modules have not been precompiled.