[Mailman-Users] Searchable Archives for private lists

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 15 21:57:39 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 23:27, Dan Wright ADTech Lists wrote:
> What are the best methods for having seachable archives for private
> lists without comprimising the security of the lists contents?
>
> Suggestions?

"Best" is such a relative term... I think in general you want to limit
the ability to use the Search engine to only those folks that are
allowed to access the Archives.  My favorite Search engine is HTDig and
it does not have this ability built into it (at least not the version I
use).

You could setup access to the Search CGI so that it required
authentication.  Then you can have your users login in order to use the
search engine.

There is an FAQ entry that lets you create a password file suitable for
use with Apache. So you could setup the Search engine to ask for the
same login/authentication that Mailman uses for access to the private
Archives.

Good Luck - and let us know what you end up doing.

Jon Carnes