[Mailman-Users] Error starting mailman service

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Thu Apr 17 20:53:20 CEST 2003

Mike Gideon wrote:
> I just installed the mailman that comes with RedHat 9.0 ( I think it is
> 2.1-8).  A piece of documentation says as of ver2.1 mailman requires a
> service.
> When I try running it I get the following message:
> [root at listserv mailman]# /sbin/service mailman start
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
>     check_privs()
>   File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
>     gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
> KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found

It looks like you don't have all the required python modules installed.  You
might want to look on the RH 9 (no .0 anymore) CD's to see if there are
other python rpms which you don't have installed.  If you figure out what
rpm it is that's missing, you might consider reporting it to RH so they can
add it as a requires in their Mailman RPM.  Maybe sometime before Mailman 10
some distribution will build an RPM that 'just works.'  It sure would cut
down on the traffic to this list. :)

- --
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary
    -- William Jefferson Clinton (USA TODAY, 11 March 1993, page 2A)

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)