[Mailman-Users] some problems after 2.0.13 to 2.1.1 upgrade

r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 17:12:48 CEST 2003

akopps at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:33:45PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:
> > For your second problem:
> >
> > 1. The ability to modify a list's web_page_url attribute which was
> > available in MM 2.0.13 was removed from the web admin GUI in 2.1
>
> That's a strange choice, was this meant to make it harder to fix the
> kind of problem like we're having here?

Barry Warsaw, MM dev supremo reckons it was a good change as too many list admins were editing the web_page_url via the GUI and getting it wrong; then the
list admin and users couldn't access the list's admin or user GUI until the site admin had corrected the foul up, from the command line. If you are site admin of an installation supporting hundreds of lists with similarly large numbers of list admins, capable of making mistakes, you can see his point.

> > 2. You can use the $prefix/bin/fix_url.py script in conjunction with
> > $prefix/bin/withlist script. Both output their usage if you run them with
> > the --help option.
> >

> Thanks, this helped. However, I am wondering, is there a reason this
> value has to be stored in the list specific data files instead of
> picking up the global value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST?

Once you have got DEFAULT_URL_HOST set to the correct value in mm_cfg.py, new lists will all incorporate that value into their web_page_url.

I guess that in order to support virtual hosts MM needs a per-list attribute to identify which virtual host the the list is associated with. The web_page_url attribute serves that purpose with the FQDN from the web_page_url acting as the key to to the mapping to email domain FQDN defined by add_virtualhost() entries in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py