[Mailman-Users] weird hostname

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 13:39:17 CEST 2003

At 11:28 23/04/2003, Dan Richter wrote:
>This problem is ALREADY RESOLVED, but I would sure like to know where it
>came from.
>
>When I installed Mailman on helium.wimba.com, it somehow got the idea that
>it was running on host115.wimba.com. For example, the subscription e-mail
>referred the user to:
>    flashinfo-request at host115.wimba.com
>The web site also referred to host115.wimba.com, even after I explicitly
>set the hostname in mm_cfg.py.
>
>The command line gives no indication of where host115 came from.
>    [me at helium]$ hostname
>    helium.wimba.com
>
>   [me at helium]$ host host115.wimba.com
>   Host host115.wimba.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
>I solved the problem by using:
>    bin/withlist -l -r fix_url
>but where did the problem come from in the first place?

Probably results from the DNS entries below which I got when is did lookups
on the FQDNs and IP number for the machine you are referring to.

I think you will find that, during installation, when trying to determine
the default FQDN, the installer did a reverse lookup on the IP number of
the machine and came up with host115.wimba.com, just as I did, rather than
helium.wimba.com. I'll leave you to use dig to try to figure out what your
DNS is publishing.

Remember what the hostname command returns is not certain to be an accurate
representation of what DNS is publishing in respect of IP nmuber on an
interface of the machine.

[user at localhost user]$ nslookup -sil helium.wimba.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   helium.wimba.com
Address: 216.65.123.115

[user at localhost  user]$ nslookup -sil 216.65.123.115
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
115.123.65.216.in-addr.arpa     name = host115.wimba.com.

123.65.216.in-addr.arpa nameserver = pit.maxim.net.
123.65.216.in-addr.arpa nameserver = pendulum.maxim.net.
123.65.216.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ftp.maxim.net.
pit.maxim.net   internet address = 216.65.0.150
pendulum.maxim.net      internet address = 216.65.0.162

[user at localhost user]$ nslookup -sil host115.wimba.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find host115.wimba.com.: NXDOMAIN

[user at localhost user]$