[Mailman-Users] exim and temporary dns lookup failures

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 13:25:54 CEST 2003

I am a long time user of Mailman and exim. Unfortunately, during that
time, people that run DNS and also some users have become erm... less
clueful.

My exim logfiles now frequently fill up with messages like this:-

2003-04-22 10:51:40 H=localhost.localdomain (post.tobit.co.uk) [127.0.0.1] F=<dxspider-support-bounces at dxcluster.org> temporarily rejected RCPT <ea7nk at batea.org>: host lookup did not complete
2003-04-22 10:51:50 H=localhost.localdomain (post.tobit.co.uk) [127.0.0.1] F=<dxspider-support-bounces at dxcluster.org> temporarily rejected RCPT <ea7nk at batea.org>: host lookup did not complete
2003-04-22 10:52:00 H=localhost.localdomain (post.tobit.co.uk) [127.0.0.1] F=<dxspider-support-bounces at dxcluster.org> temporarily rejected RCPT <ea7nk at batea.org>: host lookup did not complete

Note the 10 second interval. This now seems to be the default in 2.1.1
(2.0.x would retry straight away). It is Mailman retrying  the delivery
and exim coming up with the 'temporary error' that is causing this
(together with the verification ACLs in exim which I am not going to
disable [completely]).

Is there some way of stopping this behaviour? Or increasing the timeout
between retries? I am using Mailman 2.1.1 and exim 4.14.

Dirk Koopman
--
Please Note: Some Quantum Physics Theories Suggest That When the
Consumer Is Not Directly Observing This Product, It May Cease to