[Mailman-Users] How safely to truncate the mbox file?

Adam Curtin adam-mailman at yellowduck.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 20:42:27 CEST 2003

My arhives/private/list.mbox/list.mbox is 14 months old, and 200Mb. It's a
pain it being so large, because it changes every day so my nightly backups
write 199Mb of unchanged data to tape every morning.

I've looked in the FAQ and documentation, and apart from editing the file
to remove unwanted messages, I can't see an explanation of truncating the
file without harming future archives. I'd like to:

  $ mv list.mbox list.mbox.sv && touch list.mbox
  $ gzip -9 list.mbox.sv

... or equivalent, through an entry in logrotate.d

Will this be OK? Will existing archives remain untouched, and future ones
be safe? The list starts new archives weekly - is there an ideal moment to
do this truncation, e.g. 00:00 Monday?

On a related note, I'd like to remove the offering to download the gzip'd
mbox - how do I do that?

Thanks in advance,
A.