[Mailman-Users] virtual hosting

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Apr 28 06:55:56 CEST 2003

On 28 Apr 2003 at 0:40, Jon Carnes wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 06:19, Dan Langille wrote:
> > On 24 Apr 2003 at 21:42, admin2 wrote:
> >
> > > OS:  FreeBSD 4.7
> > > Mailman:  2.1.1
> >
> > I am using the same.
> >
> > > Okay I am getting a little confused here.  Is there a good link out there that
> > > steps an admin through setting up mailman for virtual hosting?
> >
> > Not that I've found.  I've been trying to write one, but I've not
> > been able to solve two basic problems.
> >
> > I've been attempting to migrate freebsddiary.org and freshports.org
> > mailing lists from majordomo to mailman.  I've found the
> > administration interface and the the user interface to be much
> > better, but it seems much more difficult to do things that are fairly
> > well documented for majordomo. The two main blocks I've encountered
> > are:
> >
> > 1 - You cannot have two mailing lists with the same name in two
> > different domains and obtain satisfactory results:
> >
> The way we currently get around this, is to make an install of Mailman
> for each domain.

Ahhh, thanks, I've been looking for someone who's already achieved
this.  I hope we can develop a better solution.  Multiple installs
are OK for small numbers of domains, but it is very impractical for
large installations.

How many domains/lists are you running with mailman?  My numbers are
relatively small, but with Mailman having such potential and the user
interface that it has, it's a shame to "spoil" it by jumping through
hoops to achieve virtual hosting.

I guess one could fake it by creating a single install, then creating
a directory of symlinks to the "master" install.  Has anyone
investigated this?  That at least would simplify the upgrade process
and act as a bridge until the code is enhanced.

> This is actually well documented in the Archives.

It should be in the FAQ, or at least a point to the archives from the
FAQ.  My archive search found many people asking the question, but no
answers.

> When making a domain specific install, you must create a user/group name
> that is specific to the install (like "mailman-domain1") and install it
> in its own directory: /usr/local/mailman-domain1

Oh....

Is this approach used for non-trival sites? e.g. > 10.

Are there any plans to do this "properly"?  The directory name in
~mailman/lists shouldn't be the publicly displayed name.  That should
be a configuration item like anything else.

> > 2 - The install instructions for mailman indicate that you must
> > create a "site wide" mailing list titled 'mailman'.  It's unclear
> > whether or not you need just one per mailman installation or per
> > domain.
>
> One per installation.  So if you have two virtual domains, then you
> would install Mailman twice (if you want to have simple lists with
> common names for each domain - ie. suppport at domain1.com and
> support at domain2.com).

Thanks.  I understand that.  I hope to get a patch in for the
documentation area once I get this completed.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/