[Mailman-Users] News gateway

Nils Vogels nivo+mailman-users at yuckfou.org
Wed Apr 30 01:54:19 CEST 2003

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 11:52:10PM -0400, Jon Carnes (JC) wrote:
JC> Mailman version 2.1.1 may have better performance (able to gate the
JC> messages even while moderating the senders), but I haven't tested that
JC> yet.
JC>
JC> I've set this up for a few companies using version 2.0.13.  I used an
JC> external news reader (like slrn) to read in the new articles, then
JC> pumped the articles into Mailman using an approved header.  I let
JC> mailman pump new mail out to the news groups.

While I am sure that this is working, I'd rather not use this ;)

I am running MM2.1.1 (upgrade to 2.1.2 is pending) and basically, it all
works, except that I need to find some way to tell mailman always to

1) Forward any post from USENET to the list
2) Forward posts from the list to USENET (and list members) if the poster is
not modded, and is member of the list

Currently I can make MM do step 1, but when I configure 2, MM also starts
moderating all USENET posts, since all USENET people are not subscribed to the
list.

Obscuring the list access via email is not exactly whats wanted, since the box
runs multiple USENET lists and other 'normal' announce lists, as well as some
virtual domains, using Postfix as an MTA (in fully-automated mode with regards
to aliases and virtusers)

Any hints ?

Gr,

Nils.