[Mailman-Users] Re: [courier-users] Re: Mailman bounces and Courier

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Wed Apr 30 01:40:11 CEST 2003

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Courier uses '-' as a delimiter for local address extensions, not '+'.

> Reconfigure mailman to use a return address of
> <test-bounces-user=domain at localdomain>

Thanks, that's a major step forward. But, how will courier ever know
the difference between user<delimiter>name-othername=domain at localdomain
and user-name<delimiter>othername=domain at localdomain ? Even if it loops
from left to right and from right to left, there will always be room for
ambiguity. Not that + as the delimiter would be foolproof either; I've
got a list subscriber with a + in his email address.

The whole idea of return addresses in this form seems wrong from the
beginning. If the delimiter is a valid address character, there will
always be a risk of ambiguity. If the delimiter is not a valid address
character, the address cannot be used at all. I wish they had used
messageID at domain or something like that as the sender addresss.