[Mailman-Users] hi

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 17:39:07 CEST 2003

At 15:57 30/04/2003, CARTER Anthony wrote:
>we just changed our archives from public into private, but now we can't
>browse
>into the archives...
>
>This may be normal, or may not...Can you confirm what changine from public to
>private does, and what am I suppose to get now under
>/pipermail/mailinglistname?
>
>And if not here, which path is it to the new one!
>
>Anthony

If you go to the the /mailman/listinfo page for the list you will find the
link to the list's archives; now being a private archive, the URI will be
of the form /mailman/private/<listanme>.

Private archive contents are delivered by one of Mailman's CGI scripts,
called private.py, which is what enforces the list archives privacy.

In practice a public archive is just a private arhcive which has a link to
it in $prefix/archive/public/. This latter directory is the one that has
the /pipermail/ alias pointing to it in your web server's httpd.conf. The
actual archives are always in $prefix/archives/private/<listname>