[Mailman-Users] very weird behavior

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Thu Aug 7 19:06:58 CEST 2003

So here is the deal (with a fresh outlook and a good night sleep). I am
convinced that I did get everything working yesterday. I took some
futzing around with the exim config file, sendmail.cf and apache. The
reason that I thought things were working was that I created a new list
'testlist' and it worked fine (i.e. allowed me to subscribe, sent me
notice that I had subscribed, let me post, sent the post, etc...)

But when I tried to use the old (imported) list, I got the error about:

Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailnull", or
re-run configure,  providing the
command line option `--with-mail-gid=mail'.

So I tied re-configuring mailman with gid=mail, that got me the error
message

Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mail", or
re-run configure,  providing the
command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.

This is clearly a loop...

So this morning I go back to the 'testlist' and start poking around. It
seems that everything works fine unless I turn on moderation, or aproval
in the "required for subscription" field (anything that requires a
message to be sent to the moderator/admin), then I'm back to the error:

Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailnull", or
re-run configure,  providing the
command line option `--with-mail-gid=mail'.

Any idea what is going on here?

Kirk