[Mailman-Users] 'recipient list too long'? -- [dr-fun-changes] http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/ has changed. (fwd)

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 22:42:39 CEST 2003

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 09:13  pm, Jonathan Ah Kit wrote:

> Hi
>
> The message below got bunged onto me as moderator even though I have an
> explicit non-member approve for this sender,
> ahkitj at greta.electric.gen.nz.
> Mailman said the recipient list was too long, and to shorten it.
> However,
> of course, as moderator I approved it.
>
> This is a big 'um' for me, as I run another mailing list on this
> server,
> internet-news, where the moderator there crossposts to about five
> mailing
> lists! The real name 'Doctor Fun website changes list' I suspect may
> be at
> fault, but I don't see how that *should* make the recipient list too
> long.

You are probably seeing the effect of the value of the 'Ceiling on
acceptable number of recipients for a posting' option on the
Privacy->Recipient web admin GUI page.

The issue is the number of recipients on the incoming message NOT the
number of people on the list(s) to which the outgoing distribution will
go.