[Mailman-Users] Email posts get posted to the wrong list!

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 00:35:30 CEST 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:24  pm, William Knechtel wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> I'm trying to set up Mailman 2.1.2 on a FreeBSD 4.6 server.  I'm using
> courier-MTA as my mail server software. I've gone through the install
> procedure, and set up the prescribed umbrealla list called "mailman",

Why do you refer to the 'mailman' list as an umbrella list? This term
has a specific meaning for Mailman lists being that for a list whose
members are other lists.

> and set up a test list, which I'm calling "all".  When I sent a message
> to all at psi-np.org, it's not actually posting to that list, it's posting
> to mailman at psi-np.org! Now, I've redone the install process (twice),
> I've verified that the aliases I'm giving courier are correct,

Without wishing to be argumentative, if the Mailman mail delivery
wrapper is called correctly by the MTA then the mail will be accepted
for and processed on behalf of the correct list. If it is getting to
the wrong list then the Mailman mail delivery wrapper is not being
called correctly and typically this is because the mail aliases are
incorrect.

> and
> still, the post end up posting to the wrong list.  The "mailman" list
> respond to my attempts to post to "all" with:
>
> <snip>
> Your mail to 'Mailman' with the subject
>
>     Please Work

> The reason it is being held:
>
>     Message has implicit destination

This will occur when mail is received by a list which does not find its
email address in either the To: or Cc: header.

In your case, this tends to reinforce the view that the MTA, when
delivering the message via Mailman's mail delivery script, is passing
it to the wrong list. When the message is being processed by that list
it finds it is not in the To: or Cc: header of the message; hence the
error message.

This error can also occur when posting to a list which has another list
as a member and the sublist does not see itself in the To: or Cc:
header when the message is passed down to it.