[Mailman-Users] add_members from another script?

Bill Goffe goffe at oswego.edu
Fri Aug 15 20:51:23 CEST 2003

I'm running Mailman 2.1.2 on a Debian system, and I'd like to call
add_members from another script. In my application, users can only get
to this point via a password, so I'm reasonably sure that they don't
need address verification that the normal subscription mechanism
provides. But, when I call add_members from another CGI script, I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 186, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/remove_members", line 161, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 122, in __init__
    self.Lock()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 155, in Lock
    self.__lock.lock(timeout)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 243, in lock
    self.__write()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
  '/usr/local/mailman/locks/a.lock.cook.20710.0'

As Mailman and Apache run under different userids, I tried adding
Mailman's group to Apache's, but I still get similar errors (I tried the
reverse in case I got it reversed).  Interestingly, if I run Apache
*itself* as mailman, it works fine, but that seems like an awfully blunt
mechanism.

I read the FAQ, but didn't see anything. I also spent a lot of time in
archives, and while this is talked about, it is never really answered.

Thus, I'm most curious if anybody has any suggestions.

         - Bill

         | Bill Goffe                 goffe at oswego.edu          |
         | Department of Economics    voice: (315) 312-3444     |
         | SUNY Oswego                fax:   (315) 312-5444     |
         | 443 Mahar Hall             <wuecon.wustl.edu/~goffe> |
         | Oswego, NY  13126                                    |
| "Our products just aren't engineered for security."                       |
|   -- Brian Valentine, Microsoft Senior VP for Windows Development,        |
|      "Lead Windows Developer Bugged by Security," Matt Berger, InfoWorld  |
|      www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/09/05/020905hnmssecure.xml      |