[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Sendmail on different Linux boxes.

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun Aug 17 20:02:35 CEST 2003

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 08:17  pm, Student wrote:

> Is it possible to run Apache and Mailman on one server but use our
> existing Mail server (Sendmail) which is on another Redhat box and
> require authentication for outgoing mail ?

The installation notes say you must have some form of MTA running on
the machine running Mailman to deliver incoming posts to Mailman's
delivery script(s). Mailman is quite agnostic about what that transfer
agent should be and any one of a number of MTAs can be used; see the
READMEs in the source distribution.

If your main mail server and the mailman server used NFS to give both
access to the file space Mailman uses then it might be possible for
your Mail server to inject messages directly into Mailman's queues but
this is not a configuration I have (yet) attempted but another reader
of the list may have done; if so, please step forward.

It is simple configuration matter for Mailman to pass outgoing mail
direct to an SMTP server on a machine other than the one it (Mailman)
is running on. But what do you mean by 'require authentication for
outgoing mail' in what you said above?

As a sanity check, the main site I manage Mailman for does not expose
the Mailman server to the internet. All incoming (and outgoing) mail
goes through dedicated mail relay machines that do the site's virus and
spam checking on incoming and outgoing mail. The Mailman server's local
MTA just gets and passes 'clean' incoming posts to Mailman from the
site's mail relays.