[Mailman-Users] Using approved headers and redirection

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Mon Aug 18 21:18:43 CEST 2003

Bruce,

Bruce Embrey wrote:

> I want to use the Approved: header and am having trouble getting it to
> work. I tried replying to the message with Approved: list password but
> it generates another bounce processing message. If I do this what will
> keep the rest of the list from learning my list password?

Can you be more specific about what happens?

In other words, Mailman sends the moderators a message with two
attachments.  The first attachment is the original message.  The second
attachment is the email message that you need to reply to for approval
or discarding.

So, are you replying to the message from listname-owner (moderation
request) or from listname-request (subject is confirm ...)?

Are you making sure that the very first line of the body is Approved:?
Very few email clients let you insert a new header line.  Some will put
a blank line between the header information and the body, which will
make it impossible for you to approve the message with that email client.

> Also can I use the redirect to send it to another address? Sometimes we
> have people send to the master list when it should go to a sublist. Can
> I use redirect in my email client to send to the other list?

I don't know what email client you are using or what the redirect option
on it does.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own