[Mailman-Users] Using approved headers and redirection

Bruce Embrey embrey at hood.edu
Mon Aug 18 21:37:18 CEST 2003

John,

After I reply by placing Approved:password on the first line of the reply,
it sends me another bounce message which contains the original, 1st bounce
message, and the 2nd bounced message. There are no attachments but they are
contained within the body of the message.

My address is the listowner and moderator and is listed as embrey at hood.edu.
Here is the bounce message:
         The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
         format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
         from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
         unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

When I reply it is sent to mailman-bounces, and it generates another bounce
message. I am using Eudora which has a redirect option. The from field
looks loike this on a redirection:

From: mailman-bounces at helios.hood.edu (by way of Bruce Embrey
<embrey at hood.edu>)

I can save the message and send it if needed.

Bruce Embrey

At 03:18 PM 8/18/2003, you wrote:
>Bruce,
>
>Bruce Embrey wrote:
>
>>I want to use the Approved: header and am having trouble getting it to
>>work. I tried replying to the message with Approved: list password but it
>>generates another bounce processing message. If I do this what will keep
>>the rest of the list from learning my list password?
>
>Can you be more specific about what happens?
>
>In other words, Mailman sends the moderators a message with two
>attachments.  The first attachment is the original message.  The second
>attachment is the email message that you need to reply to for approval or
>discarding.
>
>So, are you replying to the message from listname-owner (moderation
>request) or from listname-request (subject is confirm ...)?
>
>Are you making sure that the very first line of the body is Approved:?
>Very few email clients let you insert a new header line.  Some will put a
>blank line between the header information and the body, which will make it
>impossible for you to approve the message with that email client.
>
>>Also can I use the redirect to send it to another address? Sometimes we
>>have people send to the master list when it should go to a sublist. Can I
>>use redirect in my email client to send to the other list?
>
>I don't know what email client you are using or what the redirect option
>on it does.
>

>--
>
>John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Bruce Edward Embrey : Linux Systems Manager
Campus Email Admin : UNIX / Linux Administrator
Hood College : embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927