[Mailman-Users] Re: mail server recommendations?

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Thu Aug 28 03:28:41 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 06:43:54PM -0400, Raymond Wood wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:13:10AM +0200, Brad Knowles imagined:

> > For smaller sites, or sites wishing to have a simpler
> > configuration file, I find that postfix generally works very well.
> > It has one of the simplest configuration files that I have ever
> > seen, and comes configured out-of-the-box to be just about the
> > perfect MTA for a mailing list.

> Postfix is also designed, like Qmail, from the ground up with
> security in mind.  I'm told the source-code is a joy to look at, but
> don't quote me on that as I'm no authority :-)

I will third the suggestion to check out Postfix. I've used it on
both very large scale systems (multiple mail machines, 30k+ users per
cluster of machines), as well as on my own workstations. It's easy to
configure, but flexible, fast, performs well, secure, and it's author
isn't a raving loon *coughQMAILcough*.

It has a good user community, and the postfix-users list is generally
very helpful. Wietse himself (Postfix's author) posts to the list
frequently, and provides some amusing entertainment at times.

There may be certain features that it lacks, but I haven't ever run up
against them, and I imagine most people will find the same thing.

I've not run Exim since version 3.x, but I've heard good things about
the recent releases of Exim as well.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."