[Mailman-Users] Re: Footer ?

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Thu Aug 28 19:43:54 CEST 2003

jsmith wrote:

>I have sent a post similar to this previously but it has been a while.
>At home I am using outlook.

jsmith,

Here's your problem.  This email is flagged as using the UTF-8 character
set (Unicode).

I'll guess your list is not set for US English as its preferred
language, is that correct?

If that's the case, Mailman **CANNOT** simply append the footer, which
is most likely in the incompatible ISO-8859-1 character set, to this
email without possibly corrupting it -- if there were any ISO-8859-1
characters in the footer, like German ü, the entire UTF-8 message could
be garbled, or it could even corrupt someone's email terminal and make
it unreadable!  (I've personally had this happen, and it's not pretty.)

For what it's worth, I didn't see any footer (attachment or otherwise)
on the message you posted.  Did you have footers turned off completely
on that list?

In any case, Mailman does the best it can and attaches the footer as an
"inline" attachment flagged as ISO-8859-1, which is supposed to be
displayed at the bottom of the message (not as an attachment).  Outlook
does not support inline text attachments, for whatever reason, although
many other mail programs do.

There is a patch available that Tokio Kikuchi wrote that tries to
convert everything to UTF-8 when necessary to make a "best attempt" at
adding the footer directly, not as an attachment, if possible.  This
patch may solve your issue.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=664209&group_id=103&atid=300103

Also, you can try setting your list for US English as its preferred
language.  The mailman-users list is set for US English, which is why it
can safely add its footers to just about any message. (US English uses
the "us-ascii" character set, which is safe to append to UTF-8 or other
messages.)

Ben