[Mailman-Users] Re: Footer ?

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Thu Aug 28 22:17:41 CEST 2003

Kevin McCann wrote:

>Isn't the solution to just insert the footer as a plain text message
>part before sending? Something like:
>
>------_=_NextPart_000_0149566.27838596
>
>Here's my groovy footer ....
>

>The HTML content is in it's own message section, separated by a boundary
>marker and with a different Content-Type. No need to fiddle with that.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something, in which case I'd love to know how Lyris is
>able to do this with no problem.

Kevin, this is *EXACTLY* what Mailman does currently.

The problem is that Outlook is buggy, and it doesn't know that
text/plain message parts after the first part can/should be included
inline with the message.  We try to be as explicit as possible and even
include a "Content-Disposition: inline" meta-header with the second
text/plain part, but Outlook ignores this.

The footer always shows up as an attachment to be downloaded, and never
in the body of the message.

It's a big problem we haven't figured out how to solve.

Ben