[Mailman-Users] subscriber aliases

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 00:10:48 CEST 2003

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 09:27  pm, Con Wieland wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I may have missed something but I am unable to find any information on
> this. I am wondering if there is any type of provision such that
> someone subscribed to a list as name at xxx.yyy.zzz can send mail to the
> list as either name at yyy.zzz  or name at xxx.yyy.zzz

email address comparisons are done by strict string equality of the
mail aliases and mail domains.

yyy.zzz and xxx.yyy.zzz are different, unrelated mail domains so
comparison will fail. I do not believe this is a Mailman issue per se,
but is a generic email issue. Mailman is surely not 'entitled' to make
assumptions, based on some lexical similarity between the two mail
domains, that an alias valid in one domain refers to the same person as
an alias valid in another domain.

To let people post from different domains and/or with different mail
aliases to a list restircted to members only posting you will need them
to have multiple subscriptions to the list and nomail all but one of
them so they do not get multiple deliveries.