[Mailman-Users] Upgrading lists 2.0.X -> 2.1.X

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 02:27:17 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 11:58, Morgan Fletcher wrote:
> Morgan Fletcher <morgan at hahaha.org> writes:
>
> > Do I need to update the data under $prefix/lists/ when upgrading from 2.0.X
> > to 2.1.X? If so, how? I don't see any mention of it in the 2.1.3 INSTALL or
> > UPGRADING document, but when I try the upgrade with 2.0.8-era lists/ data,
> > I get errors about missing properties. (fields?)
>
> Anyone?
>
> Morgan Fletcher

A problem that has been throughly discussed in archives sometimes goes
unanswered when asked for the umpteenth time....

The first time that you access each list after an upgrade, Mailman will
see that the list is an older 2.0 version and will automatically update
the lists and the information in the list.

The old config files will still be there, but now there will be new .pck
configuration files that are used by Mailman 2.1.

In general, you should go into each of your lists using the web-admin
after an upgrade and make sure that the defaults used on that list are
the ones that you want and need.  Most of the problems occurring at this
point are due to your not editing the new ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
file and adding the new sections that it expects (browse the Defaults.py
file for a clue as to what you need to add to this file after the
upgrade).

If you don't like the upgrade defaults (and most folks don't), and you
then change the defaults so that they are more to your liking, then
rename the generated .pck files and let mailman regenerate them again.

You can also simply go into the web-admin for the list and make any
changes there.

The most commonly mis-understood upgrade item is the way that virtual
domains are now done.  You must explicitly identify your domain and any
virtual domain that you use with any list.  The domain information
consists of the domain name used for mail and the web-address used for
the web-administration of the list.

Good luck - Jon Carnes