[Mailman-Users] Mail not sent: unknown encoding?

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Thu Dec 4 11:53:02 CET 2003

04-Dec-03 at 11:29, Simon White (simon at caperet.com) wrote :
> >From error log:
> +-+-+
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py", line 262,
> in prefix_subject
>     h.append(s, c)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib/email/Header.py", line 285, in
> append
>     s = s.encode(outcodec, errors)
> LookupError: unknown encoding
> +-+-+
> Why did this message not go out? Where else can I look for clues?

I've had a bit of a dig around, and there is an additional line that
might be useful:

error:Dec 02 00:31:22 2003 (10105) SHUNTING:

this message is now in qfiles/shunt

I can't try unshunting it right now because if that works the server
will saturate, there are about 13,000 subscribers and the server is too
busy during the day to handle that. Indeed the message is a little out
of date and needs updating, so how can I just get rid of it? Is it safe
to delete the .db and .pck files in qfiles/shunt?

The message in question had a French subject line with one 8 bit
character (é)... could that have caused problems?

Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access
     Bridging the gap between management, HR and the tech team.