[Mailman-Users] Problem with ./configure to install Mailman

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Thu Dec 4 16:21:15 CET 2003

04-Dec-03 at 10:09, Brent Shafer (brent_s at treca.org) wrote :
> I'm just starting out with Mailman and have limited experience with
> Linux.
> When I attempt to configure the Mailman installation, I get the
> following message:
> [mailman at localhost Mailman]$ cd mailman-2.1.3
> [mailman at localhost mailman-2.1.3]$ ./configure
> checking for --with-python... no
> checking for python... /usr/bin/python
> checking Python interpreter... /usr/bin/python
> checking Python version... 2.2.1
> checking that Python has a working distutils... configure: error:
> ***** Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python
> ***** If you installed Python from RPM (or other package manager)
> ***** be sure to install the -devel package, or install Python
> ***** from source.  See README.LINUX for details
> Python is installed on my RedHat Linux 8.0 server, but how do I get the
> distutils to work properly?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check, like it says, if you have the python-devel package installed.
RedHat may not have it. You will need it for Mailman.

# rpm -q python-devel

if memory serves, is the command you need. If it doesn't print anything
as output, then you need to find the -devel RPM of the same version of
Python that you have and install it. That means if you have

then you need

(these are the stock RH8.0 RPMs for Python)

you could do this:

# rpm -qa | grep python

to find all python related RPMs installed. If
python-devel-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm isn't among them, then you need to
install it.

Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access
     Bridging the gap between management, HR and the tech team.