[Mailman-Users] Mailman won't send mail

Josh Paetzel friar_josh at tcbug.org
Fri Dec 5 19:36:26 CET 2003

I'm having an issue getting Mailman to send mail out to my mailing
list.  I've searched Google extensively, read the Mailman FAQ, and
can't seem to get an answer to my problem.  Sorry for the length of
this email, but I'm going to try and be as complete as possible the
first time around.

According to the FAQ the following information should be listed:

Mailman version - 2.1.3
How it was installed - FreeBSD ports system
Version of OS - FreeBSD 5.2-BETA
The MTA - Postfix 2.0.16,1

I've gone through the troubleshooting tips in the FAQ section 3.14

Brief Description of the Problem: Emails sent to my mailing list are
silently absorbed by the mailman system.  They don't bounce, they
just appear to disappear.

Mailman Configuration: Here's a copy of my mm_cfg.py

# Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.

DEFAULT_URL             = 'http://tcbug.org/cgi-bin/mailman'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST      = 'tcbug.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST        = 'tcbug.org'
MAILMAN_OWNER           = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME
SMTPHOST                = 'ns1.tcbug.org'

Logs:  Here is the output of several of the logs on the system:

/var/log/maillog contains the following when I try to send a mail:

Dec  5 17:54:06 ns1 postfix/local[38668]: 3786EBA0A:
to=<tcbug at tcbug.org>, relay=local, delay=6, status=sent
("|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post tcbug")

/usr/local/mailman/logs/error is empty

/usr/local/mailman/logs/post:

Dec 05 17:59:48 2003 (38597) post to tcbug from friar_josh at tcbug.org,
 size=1994,  message-id=<20031205124245.GB36717 at ns1.tcbug.org>, 20
failures

(There are 20 members on the mailing list in question)

/usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp:

Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) All recipients refused: (61, 'Connection refused')
Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) <mailman.0.1070646847.38595.tcbug at tcbug.org>
smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.046 seconds
Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) All recipients refused: (61, 'Connection refused')
Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) <mailman.1.1070646847.38595.tcbug at tcbug.org>
smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.110 seconds

/usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp-error:

Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) delivery to 2546547 at msn.com failed with code -1:
ignore
Dec 05 17:54:09 2003 (38597) delivery to tcbug-owner at tcbug.org failed with code
-1: ignore

...this is followed by similar messages for each of the members of the list.

Just for kicks I've apt-get installed Mailman on a debian 3.0 box I have
laying around, along with Postfix 2.0.x and everything works perfectly out
of the box.  I've been tearing my hair out trying to see what's different
between the two installations, but I can't find it.  Any and all advice,
suggestions, clues, feats of magic, or beatings with the clue stick would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel
friar_josh at tcbug.org