[Mailman-Users] Subscribing to several lists at once? / Customized confirmation subjects

Axel Beckert beckert+mailman-users at ecos.de
Mon Dec 8 20:51:47 CET 2003

Hi!

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 06:50:29PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Another little customization thingy:
>
> IIRC Mailman 2.0.x had confirmation mail subjects looking like this:
>
> |  listname -- confirmation of subscription -- request XXXXXX
>
> The new ones look just like this:
>
> |  confirm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Is it easily possible to customize this subject to be a little bit
> more understandable for a non-english speaking, non-technical
> audience, e.g. by a descriptive prefix in the configured language? Or
> do I need to patch Mailman and/or create new locales?

Default.py suggests to use VERP_CONFIRMATIONS:

# For nicer confirmation emails, use a VERP-like format which encodes the
# confirmation cookie in the reply address.  This lets us put a more user
# friendly Subject: on the message, but requires cooperation from the MTA.
# Format is like VERP_FORMAT above, but with the following substitutions:

But doing an "find Mailman -type f -print0 | xargs -0 fgrep
VERP_CONFIRMATIONS" shows that this feature only seems to be
implemented for invitations. Am I right with this or did I oversee
something? Is using this feature for subscription confirmation planned
for a soon coming release? Checked the CVS, but MailList.py just has a
3 line patch.

            Kind regards, Axel Beckert
Axel Beckert      ecos electronic communication services gmbh
it security solutions * dynamic web applications * consulting

Mail:       Tulpenstrasse 5       D-55276 Dienheim near Mainz
E-Mail:     beckert at ecos.de       Voice:     +49 6133 939-220
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de/   Fax:       +49 6133 939-333